2008/09/02

Quick thoughts on the iPhone

The trigger for this post is using my iPod Classic. I love the thing, when it came out I quickly decided it was the best iPod ever. My previous favorite was the 3rd gen. I used the 4th gen and owned a 5th gen, but this was the best. All of them work well, are fairly reliable, etc, but the interface improvements on the classic are nice little touches. The kind of touches that Apple and IBM make, but no body else takes the time to make.

But as I sit here listening to Porcupine Tree while updating a RHEL server, I keep reaching for the little bud on my headphones to pause or skip a track, like I have on my iPhone. I really thought that the lack of physical controls with a click of feedback would be missed, but they aren't. The only things you could do on the old iPods without looking were change the volume, and pause, but the same things can be done on the iPhone without looking. The other nice things like coverflow, the iPhone method of scrolling, etc, are even better.

I still have my iPod classic for size reasons, 80gb easily holds my (recently slimmed down) media collection, but the 16gb iPhone comes no where close. I also like having my classic because of the biggest downside to the iPhone, battery life.

Right now the only thing I REALLY want for the iPhone that isn't available is a good text editor. I'm getting pretty quick with the keyboard, and I would like to be able to really write and edit text/doc files.

No comments: