2008/09/12

How to stick to something?

I currently have 2 monkeys on my back that are bothering me more than the others. One is to lose some weight again. I did a good job earlier this year by loosing ~20 pounds, but most of it has been gained back. The other is to try to write, or play music, or something. I started to get serious about the idea of blogging more, in a less personal way near the beginning of the summer, but then I was invited to play in a band, which seemed to sorta fill that "artistic" hole. Then that fell apart about a month ago. I've debated if I should try to start something up since. I used to hate writing in English class, but when I was in high school I started to enjoy it more. I had some great instructors in high school and college, and many of them encouraged me to write more. Then a couple of years ago I ran into Steven King's book called "On Writing", and it caused me to think I should try to write. I am very interested in either being a journalist or novelist in the long run, but I feel like getting a blog going with a strong readership could be great training to get me ready for something more serious. I still feel like music is closer to "my" form of art, and I would love to have a reason to play regularly, but I really enjoy writing.

I told Katy yesterday when we were driving home that I am going to seriously try to work on these two issues, because I have always read that telling people around you that you are going to change causes you to be held responsible. So here it is, for anyone that does ever read this blog. I'm going to try. I'm going to try to get into better shape, and I'm going to try to start up a blog. I'll probably keep this one as a personal blog, but I want to try something more serious.

No comments: